How to prepare the seedlings for transplanting
Prior to transplanting, seedlings need to be raised in a. Seedling nurseries usually use 5−10% of the total farming area.
When choosing the appropriate nursing system, consider the availability of sunlight, water, labor, land, and agricultural implements.
- Prepare beds at 1 m wide by convenient length. Raise the soil to 5−10 cm height.
- Broadcast pre-germinated seeds in thoroughly puddled and leveled soil.
- Construct drainage canals for proper water removal.
- Add organic manure (decompose) and a small amount of inorganic fertilizer as basal dressing. This increases seed vigor and allows easier uprooting for transplanting.
- Transplant seedlings at 15−21 days old.
How to prepare seedlings for mechanical transplanting
Mechanical transplanters have built-in trays or seedling boxes.
Grow seedlings on a thin layer of soil in 30 cm x 60 cm trays per seedling box. In some instances, seedlings are grown on larger areas and then cut into rectangular strips (mats of seedlings) that fit into the planting trays of the transplanter.